Assessment abatement request
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
I believe an unpaid assessment in many ways is not unlike any other debt. It
should be committed to a negotiable instrument, that is a note and debt
agreement, containing the date,  amounts, names of the parties (as they are
officially recorded on the deed and HOA Charter), the terms of repayment and
the conditions and rights of parties in the event of default under the terms of
agreement. Yes, such an instrument could be factored, i.e., sold to another
party or pledged as collateral to a lender.

Most important in the case of property assessments, I believe these can be
erased in bankruptcies and/or foreclosures, or overlooked or even ignored in
the transfer of title, even in an open market sale, if appropriate action is
not taken to secure the rights of the creditor. Therefore, when the HOA becomes
aware they are at risk of a default in payment or collection, it is important
to file a public lien in the local county records to make the debt a matter of
record that will not be overlooked by a title company in insuring title to a
subsequent owner.

Considering the worst case, if an HOA starts forgiving debts, it will not meet
its budget and oversight agencies like FHA or even local lenders may consider
that the HOA is deficient in its responsibilities and refuse to make future
mortgage loans within that community.

Thomas Lofft
Liberty Village, MD