Re: Common function areas in neighborhoods?
From: John Sechrest (sechrestgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
I believe if you look closely, there are many places that have common
facilities that are not Cohousing groups. There are retirement homes,
assisted living facilities, apartment complexes, Student Housing and more
that provide common facilities.

However many of these places have the space, but not the community.

That is... They have created the "Form" but they have not created the
"Function".

Specifically, I remember an apartment complex that we were looking at ,
which had been newly built. It had a wide range "common facilities",
including a "Movie Room", a Common Kitchen, Shared Laundry, and
garden/public spaces.

However, the feeling of community was not there.

I suspect that you have to look beyond the facilities and space question ,
into a deeper question of relationships and community. Sometimes, a shared
space provides the function of nurturing and growing the relationships.

I remember times and places where there were local communities of friends
who shared each others houses. Where the children of the whole block would
wander thru several houses in the the course of a day. That was a place
which held community, even when there was no shared facilities.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Richart Keller <richart.keller [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just a thought...
>
> One of the most important aspects of cohousing is the Common House.  It is
> a key facility which differentiates cohousing from other types of housing,
> neighborhoods, and communities.  By providing facilities in which residents
> interact in various ways--including the mailroom,  the kitchen/dining area,
> meeting rooms, laundry room, playroom for kids, etc. etc.--it is an
> important vehicle for building and sustaining social capital within the
> community.
>
> Are there ways in which such facilities could be provided within existing
> or new neighborhoods or housing developments?
>
> Perhaps this would expand opportunities for building community and provide
> an alternative to forming groups who are not able to gather enough folks to
> create a full-blown cohousing community.
>
> Such facilities could also strengthen the sense of community in some
> cooperative housing and other non-cohousing neighborhoods.  They might also
> provide a way to strengthen affordable housing developments...
>
> Rick
>

> Rick Keller
> Pioneer Valley Cohousing
> Amherst MA

John Sechrest      .  Need to schedule a meeting :
http://sechrest.youcanbookme.com
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .