Re: Common function areas in neighborhoods?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 02:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
You are proposing a civic institution at the sub-neighborhood level, the level
of a block (where housing shares back yards and back doors), or perhaps a
street segment (where front doors face each other).  One of the interesting
aspects of this approach is its scale:  While a “neighborhood" may have
thousands of housing units, this model organizes more around hundreds or maybe
even dozens, depending on the density of development.  This is getting much
closer to the customary size of a coho community (say, 20 to 40 units).

Even so, I am not convinced that architectural manifestations will stimulate
community where none otherwise exists.  Will residents actually care about and
use a clubhouse dropped in their midst by a benevolent municipality?  Will they
value this opportunity if they did not themselves invest their own time and
money to create it?  A few probably will; but for the majority, probably not.
And, would such a facility get captured by factions, leaving others to demure,
“Oh, that’s not for us, that’s for the Hispanics (or the Baptists, or the
Democrats, or the old timers …)”?  You hint at a governance model of “circle
processes” for “problem solving and planning” — but this is relevant only if
this institution has autonomy … where autonomy equals resources to deploy and
the authority to assign purposes to those resources.  Where did such money and
power come from?  Did the city give it away to the houses?

So you may have cause and effect reversed.  Most of the time, it’s not
facilities that promote community.  Instead, it’s the intent to create and
maintain community that will result in visible, well-used, and well-loved
facilities.

Thanks,
R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140

land:     617.354.6094
mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>