Re: New Topic: LLC
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 06:40:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Crystal —

Now where was I …?  I banished the touch pad to the left side of the desk far
from the keyboard …

Let me add to Alice’s points about why an LLC is an important tool for forming
groups.

1.      An LLC adds legitimacy to the people you are marketing to — enrolling
people into your community takes a big upswing when you “are” something.

2.      It is one of the steps that a group can take that shows it’s maturing
as a group.

3.      It shows seriousness.  Not just talking anymore.

4.      It provides a base structure for your future governing documents or at
least the basis for discussion about what your governing documents will contain.

5.      It forces you to be businesslike.  There are certain activities you
have to do as an LLC and practicing these now — e.g. filing taxes, renewing
your LLC, etc. is good discipline for the future running a community.  It helps
you understand you are a BUSINESS as well as a community.

Regardless of where you are in the US, you can form your LLC in Delaware.  The
state is totally set up for this.  You pay a state tax yearly.  And that’s
about it.   You can find companies that will do everything for you — provides
your registered agent, operating agreement, by-laws, files the request w/ the
state, etc. for a flat fee of about $450.00.  Takes 24 hours.  It’s like a Las
Vegas wedding or divorce — all set up …  we use Harvard Business Services for
all our LLCs:  https://www.delawareinc.com/

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing