Re: Developer Model of Co-housing
From: Robin Allison (robin.allisonearthsong.org.nz)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
I too would be very interested to hear any experience of cohousing that has
arisen successfully in this way.

I come across this situation a lot, where one family owns a property and would
like to either create cohousing on it, or at least invite others to "share" the
land and build community there. A transition is required at some stage to
transfer the ownership and decision-making from the original owners to the
cohesive group, and even with the very best intentions, it seems that this is a
very tricky transition.

If we believe that risk and control need to go together, then the land-owners
need to keep some control while they are the only ones at (financial) risk. If
they want to share the risk, they need to also share the control, and if a
group wants to share the control, as in consensus decision-making, they need to
also share the risk. Skin in the game, and all that.

If there were successful strategies for making this transition, I think there
would be a lot more cohousing in NZ.

Thanks
Robin Allison
Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood in New Zealand.
www.earthsong.org.nz