Re: Welcome to Wendy Wiesner, PFAC Executive Director
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 06:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
Affordable cohousing struggles within the larger context of affordable housing
generally.  For decades now, average American household incomes have not been
keeping up with escalation in construction costs and real estate prices — so
almost all housing, for almost everyone, is increasingly unaffordable.  And,
there is nothing magical about the cohousing model that can deliver housing at
prices significantly below market respective to comparable “regular” housing.
Those who pursue cohousing in the belief that it will be “cheap” may end up
disappointed.

Most for-profit developers see "affordability” and income diversity as a plague
upon their marketing strategy — a complication to be shunned except for special
cases where it’s a zoning permit requirement.  Non-profit developers can and do
invent interesting alternatives for delivering below-market habitation — but
it’s pretty unusual for such developers to actually move into and occupy their
own projects.  So what’s interesting and unique about the cohousing model is
that small groups of self-identified developers are willing to pursue and
encourage income diversity within the community they plan to inhabit.  This
sub-local commitment to income diversity plays out not only in unit sales (or
rental) prices, but also in distributing the on-going cost burdens of annual
operations and improvements.

The community income diversity commitment takes some real courage and ethical
conviction.  It also requires skill and endurance.  As structural wealth/income
disparities continue to expand in the US, the challenges will only increase —
and the potential for cohousing to counter-compensate will be increasingly
strained.

R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140

land:     617.354.6094
mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>