Re: Developer Model of Co-housing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantCOHOUSING-SOLUTIONS.COM)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 12:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Sue Ellen,

Perhaps you are not aware of how many very successful communities have
started because one person or a single household took the initiative to
purchase or put under contract a piece of land that allowed a community to
organize themselves around it. Doyle Street Cohousing, Nevada City
Cohousing, Wolf Creek Lodge, and many many other fine cohousing
communities (Nashville, Stillwater, Anchorage, etc Š  came together
because someone took the initiative to tie up a specific property that
allowed the community to organize around it.

On the other hand, many communities meet and talk and meet and talk and
are never able to take that step toward making their community dream a
reality because finding and tying up a specific property is one of the
weaknesses in the community process. And when they do, they generally
loose many of the people who had been coming to meetings because taking
that next step means money and making it real (which is so imperfect when
compared to the our perfect visions). For instance the Pleasant Hill
community had a regular core of a dozen households meeting for two years
when they were looking for propertyŠwhen they put in an offer on a
property (that ultimately became their community), it immediately dropped
to only four households of the orginal group, and then regrew from there.
This is a common experience for communities when they tie up property.

Having worked with both communities that had a strong core that mostly
stuck together when they found land, and communities that started around a
specific siteŠ. Beyond the first months of regrouping around a specific
site, you wouldn¹t know the difference. In fact, it is very unusual for a
larger group to stick together when they find a property.

The key is that the organizers are looking for people to create community
with, not people to buy into their ³pre-designed and all worked out²
Community (a tendency of many architectsŠ.to work out their ³perfect²
community and then look for others that want that).

I believe that I am the development consultant for the community you are
talking about, and having worked with the purchasers of the property, I
have no concerns about their intentŠ.finding others ready to make it real!

If this is your only concern regarding this particular community, I would
urge you to attend the Novermber Getting it Built Workshop to see what it
can become. Its an opportunity looking for people to jump in and make it
theirs!

http://www.villagehearthcohousing.com/

Respectfully,

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 9/4/15, 10:30 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sue Ellen Hiers"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on