Re: Inter-generational age-in-place co-housing communities - are there any out there?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 30, 2015, at 2:55 AM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:
>
> My other piece of advice is ... Design and live in the thing YOU want, not
> the thing you imagine will be easy to sell to people you don't know.  You can
> safely presume that in most cases, there are others coming after you who are
> similar to you, and will be thrilled at a chance to buy your unit; you just
> have to have good system for finding them.

I’ve had contractors who didn’t want to do what I wanted because they said the
unit would be unsaleable — like take out the tub and put in a shower, take out
the walls and make a loft, etc. I have no oven in the kitchen (I’m maybe 100
feet from the brand new CH double ovens). And I know how to use a Dutch Oven.

And realistic studies of showers vs baths show that showers are (can be)
environmentally better:

http://grist.org/living/baths-vs-showers-an-eco-smackdown/

My demographic is the fastest growing the whole United States — single older
women who like living alone. They don’t think about that. There would be dozens
who would want my unit in cohousing and I would only need one.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC