Re: Truly Capitalist Things
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
Maybe.  But I am aware of more than a couple cohousing communities that are
convinced that tenant-occupied units devalue the property and make mortgages
more difficult to secure … and so, would much prefer a very high rate of owner
occupancy.  Meanwhile, at Cornerstone — a high-density development in a
high-density city, well served by transit within a few minutes walk — I have
tried hard to push for various schemes involving community-owned shared cars.
The advantages are strong in my mind, but so far, no acceptance of this idea;
people remain heavily attached to their “personal” vehicles, which in turn seem
essential to personal freedom and independence.

We’ve still got a lot of work in front of us.  This may in part be due to
America as a competitive culture, rather than a collaborative one.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA