Fw: Adult only community events?
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 08:49:57 -0800 (PST)
Hi Sharon,
  You’re correct that things will evolve into a natural and balanced set of
policies. Here at Sonora Cohousing, the common house and other rooms
(arts-crafts, gym, kids’ room, etc.) can be reserved for a variety of events.
We have a homeschooling mom who has a standing reservation for every Wed from
noon to five for her city-wide “unschooling” families. I have a monthly wine
and book group that includes city-wide attendance—it is strictly adult only. We
also have coho “craft and cocktails” nights where we assemble cute seed packets
for an urban farm while our resident amateur mixologist makes free drinks to
order. Some events are kid-centric, some are family-centric and some are very
adult, although we are pretty relaxed about having kids bop in and out of adult
events to check in with their parents.
  The only time we try to impose serenity is during our monthly general
meetings, and the community has a budget line for a babysitter. It’s a pretty
minimal expense since the meetings are only 1-2 hours a month.

  Instead of creating rules and exclusions, it pretty much comes down to just
having respect for the host and event. So if you have entitled parents with
rambunctious children, I recommend you host a community “Cards Against
Humanity” party and send out a notice that children are welcome but there will
be obscenities, frequent profanity, and random nudity.  I think your parents
will get the hint.

  Cheers,
  Mary B.
  Sonora Cohousing