Re: Deep Aging (TM); And a Totally Different Subject
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 09:46:29 -0800 (PST)
I agree that multi-generational housing is best. What I would like to hear more
about is what people like about senior cohousing.

Adding some statistical data, most “adult” communities have 55 as the lowest
qualifying age with a variety of rules when on spouse is younger. For
communities with continuing care, the average age at entry used to be 70 with a
population of many 85-95 year olds. (I don’t have current data but I doubt if
there have been drastic changes.)

I suspect that senior cohousing is closer to the 55 minimum than the age 70
initial entry. When we have talked here about declining physical ability, even
the senior cohousing communities are saying, “We aren’t there yet. We don’t
know.”

There is a concern about how do we cope with declining physical ability, which
is legitimate, but there is also the concern for “adult behavior” zones. My
memory of visiting a senior cohousing community was the quiet order of things.
It was slower and more “decorated” is the only word I can think of. Both the
interior and the exterior were not designed according the lowest common
denominator, “What if a child….”

The what-if-a-child design style assumes (1) children should not be expected to
be capable of reasonable behavior, and (2) children should be included in all
areas of the CH and all activities. There is a self-righteousness in those
advocating for children but none in advocating for the rights of those who have
been there done that and are ready to move on — at least a few hours a day.

A post many years ago, a cohouser said the group was upset that the three older
households had chosen the houses on the other side of a small wood. The others
were concerned about their isolation and wanted them to physically integrate
themselves into the community. They declined, being very happy with the
distance. The poster was checking to be sure this was okay and not a bad
direction.

There are many topics of conversation that people over 60 or 70 that will enjoy
and need, that anyone younger will find boring or weird. They can’t relate.
Aside from forming a "Tuesday evening for seniors”, like a book club, there
needs to be places and times in the community where children or even the young
professionals don’t set the tone. Their boredom doesn’t take precedence. In
discussions of presidents and presidential candidates for example. It is  nice
to discuss past presidents without either explaining who Johnson was or to have
the subject changed to what ever is of interest to a 30-40 something.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC