Re: Number of Adults Living in Cohousing
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:42:13 -0800 (PST)
Hmmm, how about we all count off. OK, "1". Who's next? ;-)

Seriously, this sounds like a job for the Cohousing Research Network
members. I know that some folks (me included) are collaborating on starting
to build a shared pool of data like this, particularly for senior cohousing
communities but also with an eye to intergenerational communities. But this
is just getting started, and doesn't even have a baseline set of statistics
yet.

I'll ask my wife Betsy Morris, who did some of the initial
communities-census data as Research Director for Coho/US and is part of
that collaboration.

Note that the Communities Directory (curated by Fellowship for Intentional
Community, but also serving the directory on http://www.cohousing.org ) has
become less useful for this kind of statistic, as it has stopped asking
questions including # of children that could be used to discriminate
against a protected category in housing rental/sales (look up "steering" in
a fair housing context), even though we only hope to use this data for
good, to make it easier for more people to find and live in community.

Raines

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach & Cohousing California Regional Organizer
Planning for Sustainable Communities (at Berkeley (CA) Cohousing)
  off to visit communities in Tucson (AZ) this week while at a nearby
conference