Re: Cohousing community work and Insurance
From: John Carver (jcarverislandnet.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 19:58:25 -0800 (PST)
On 05/01/2016 5:00 PM, Syndallas Baughman wrote:
What kind of insurance coverage does your community have for members hurt in
the course of performing community work?

For owners, none. That's consistent with any homeowner policy, which is really what your condo insurance is. The explanation is you can't sue yourself for your own negligence. You as a condo owner are responsible for your own safety. You would have to have your own individual accident insurance.

We do have volunteer insurance, which applies for people doing voluntary work for us the owners. This I understand should cover renters doing community work, which is presumably done for the benefit of owners. This hasn't been tested.

If people are doing work for pay, whoever they are, they should be insured by whatever means applies in your state or province. Here we pay Worksafe BC a percentage of what we pay the worker, if the worker is not already covered by an employer or other insurer.

John Carver
Pacific Gardens Cohousing
Nanaimo, BC
http://pacificgardens.ca/