Re: Number of Adults Living in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 06:51:33 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 6, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Alice Alexander <alicecohous [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> If we assume an average of 60 people (of all ages) living in each community
> (a big assumption - is this a good one?), that translates to 158* x 60 =
> 9,480.

I had sent a similar idea to Ann:

I would do a rough estimate by checking a few communities in the Communities
Directory and getting a percentage of adults per unit and use that. It has been
pretty steady at Takoma Village for several years at 69 adults in 43 units.
That is .62 adults per unit. (It’s a bit higher after a few new move-ins but
may drop again.)

If that formula holds for other communities, a community with 50 units could
predictably have 31 adults.

140 communities with an average of 35 units each would have a total of 3018
adults.

Suburban communities with more couples might have a higher number of adults.

You can put your calculations in a foot note so people can make their own
assumptions about accuracy. But this at least lets people know whether you are
talking 300 or 300,000 adults. Precise numbers are often not necessary.

Sharon.