Re: Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF)
From: Jerry McIntire (jerry.mcintiregmail.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 20:55:41 -0800 (PST)
Insulated concrete forms use lots of concrete, which has a bigger
environmental impact than lumber (the equivalent structural component), and
plastic foam to insulate which also has a greater environmental impact than
recycled cellulose which is easily used in a wood-framed structure.

If thermal mass is needed in a passive-solar design, ICFs don't provide it
because the concrete is insulated on both the exterior and interior.

What are they good for? Basement walls maybe.

SIPs panels are another alternative I like more than ICFs. They have a
greater R (insulation) value per wall thickness than ICFs and have equal or
better structural value if polyurethane foam is used in the SIPs. They can
be used for roof, wall, and floor panels and they save on labor costs.

Jerry McIntire