Re: The Elevator Drop Pitch
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 16:12:11 -0800 (PST)
Hi Marty!

First … congrats on the FAST pace at which your community is moving!  I’m sure
it must seem like molasses sometimes to you but when I get these glimpses of
your progress … I’m thrilled for you!

And double thanks for posting your “pitch” to this list.  I’ve made some
comments below.

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 4:54 PM, mmaskall [at] pacbell.net wrote:
>
> Here's what I use:
>
> "I'm helping to build Fair Oaks EcoHousing.  It will be like an
> old-fashioned village where neighbors know and care about each other.”
>
> Then I watch & wait for questions.  I welcome any feedback.

What kinds of questions do you get?

What I like about The Formula is that it makes clear what is happening — you
state a challenge or an issue, you say what you’re doing to resolve it and then
you say what the benefits are.

What question or issue are you trying to solve?  Affordability?  Lack of
housing,  housing for seniors?  Sustainability?

How is building EcoHousing answering that question or challenge?

What are the benefits of building and/or living in EcoHousing?

For the sake of an example, let’s say the issue in your area is the high cost
of electricity.  This is all made up.

Do you know that in the Sacramento area the cost of electricity is 2x’s the
national average?  What we’re doing at Fair Oaks EcoHousing is building highly
energy efficient homes that will reduce energy costs by 50% so that homeowners
can save money, reduce energy needs and contribute to a greener more
sustainable environment.

If the issue is housing for people with disabilities — again all made up:

Do you know that in the Sacramento area fewer than 5% of the homes are
accessible?  What we’re doing is building a neighborhood that will be 100%
accessible, adaptable and visitable by everyone so that people of ALL abilities
can live here without the barriers typical for most housing developments.

You may need multiple pitches from which to choose when speaking to different
folks.

Does this help Marty?  Need more info?

I’m working on a general, all-purpose cohousing pitch.  I could use some help.
 I’ll put it in a separate email.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing