Re: The Elevator Drop Pitch
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 02:13:29 -0800 (PST)
Choosing what home to buy is a challenging calculation.  First and foremost,
for most households, is, What does it cost?  But hard on the heels of this
question are others, like, Does it have enough space?  And often, Is it in an
acceptable school district?  Near my job?  Near health care services (for
seniors)?  And, what does it look like; does it look like home?  These are the
top questions for most homebuyers.

Cohousing — a complex alternative model in which you trade away privacy to get
sharing, autonomy to get collaboration, and bedrooms to get a commons — does
not represent questions or answers with which most Amercian homebuyers are
familiar.  So I’m a little skeptical about coming up with a 30-second elevator
pitch that will activate a buyer’s hot button, and make a sale.  If we are
trying to “sell” our communities in an elevator, then the challenge is, What
can we say, in a very short time, that will engage a stranger’s curiosity and
get him/her to look more closely?

How about, “I think you might like my cohousing community.  Why don’t you come
over for dinner Sunday night?”  Admittedly, this is easier to say for
communities already on the ground.  For formational communities, it’s probably
something more like, “Why don’t you come meet us at our Sunday night potluck?"

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA