Re: Shared Internet [ was Revisiting single metering
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:44:18 -0800 (PST)
We at Oak Creek Commons in Paso Robles, CA formerly had a bulk service contract
with Charter.com, in which we managed the number of people in the community
wanting cable TV, email, and Internet.  (We are wired for cable service to each
unit).  This unit-by-unit management scheme under the bulk contract was
difficult to handle, and a proposal to simplify the system was considered.  The
question came up whether the community wanted bulk service (TV, email,
Internet) to all units or wanted individuals to handle their own service.   The
cost difference was substantial, so to not burden people with the cost of
unwanted TV and email, the community agreed to a bulk contract for Internet
only.  TV and email are handled privately for each unit.  Because each unit is
wired for cable, only cable-modems are needed.  Adding a router provides wi-fi
service.

We have a router in the common house for people wanting wi-fi, but it is
short-range, and people need to be in the building to access it.

Norman Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA