Re: Shared Internet [ was Revisiting single metering
From: Chris Poch (chrischrispoch.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 07:43:39 -0800 (PST)
I think what makes sense in terms of utility metering depends largely on if
you pay by use or pay for service. For example, electricity service is pay
by use - if I use a lot of power, I pay a lot and if I barely use power, I
pay a little. Contrast that to internet service, which today is generally
pay for service - I pay for a certain speed of connection and pay the same
price whether all I do is email or if I stream movies continuously.

I prefer things billed on consumption to be individually metered because it
encourages better responsibility. People are more likely to be careful with
their use when they see a consequence for not being careful. My sister
lived in a high rise where the tenants paid the utilities based on a
formula of unit size and number of occupants. There was no incentive to
conserve because with hundreds of units in the building, there was no
measurable difference in what she paid based on her lifestyle choices - it
encouraged unneeded consumption. I've had friends who rented out rooms in
their houses for fixed prices (everything included) and some who also
charged for utilities. The tenants who were also paying utilities were more
responsible. The ones who didn't pay did wasteful things like set the air
conditioning (not heat) to 60F/15C in the winter because they were "a
little warm" or run a shower on the hottest setting for hours to steam a
wrinkled garment. I've never had problems getting tenants who were paying
utilities to agree to a reasonable thermostat setting or to turn off lights
they're not using. I can't imagine how some of these debates would play out
across 20+ units if bills came back higher than expected.

The big exception I'd make is for lightly used utilities. For example, if
your community has geothermal HVAC (all electric) but has gas water heaters
in each unit (and nothing else using gas). During the summer, I pay on
average $17 for my gas bill, which in the summer is essentially just water
heating. $15 of that bill is charges for being a customer and fixed rate
taxes so my use is only $2. It would be much cheaper to share that service
with my neighbors, even if they used significantly more than me, so we
could split the overhead cost of being a customer. I would take this
approach for utilities where the fees were very high relative to cost of
use.

At least for electricity, you can get non-utility provided submeters
installed. The utility would read the "big meter" and charge the community
based on it. The individual meters can be used to split the bill based on
actual use. I've seen this system in apartment complexes and also in
offices where tenants paid for electricity for certain things such as 24
hour air conditioning of a server room but the building provided most of
the electricity to tenants. Just be careful that in some areas, getting
electric service this way will make you a commercial customer. When I lived
in southwest Virginia, commercial customers paid rates that were higher
than the home service rates. It's something worth exploring before making a
decision because a higher or lower rate could end up being the deciding
factor.