Re: Cohousing that integrates a limited number of adult persons with disabilities
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 04:13:50 -0800 (PST)
Marion —

I don’t know if cohousing has done this but you would do well to you look at
The Generations of Hope model that has very successfully integrated seniors as
the stabilizing population with a target population e.g. foster kids, single
mothers.

The communities founded under this model have proven massively successful in
addressing a social concern.  Here in Washington, DC, GENESIS, is a Generations
of Hope model that has households of 55+ matched with foster-care women who are
aging out of foster care who are themselves young single mothers.  There is a
RIGOROUS application process that works to guide the success of the community.
People who are chosen for this innovative community receive below-market rent
in exchange for their commitment and work in the community.

This is a model that cohousing could consider integrating — it might well work
for your commitment in providing housing for people with disabilities.  One of
the crying needs of parents with disabled children is providing for their care
after they are gone.   Even if they have care provided for …what they are
desiring is a home where their children are accepted and usefully whole.

http://ghdc.generationsofhope.org/

http://genesisdc.org/

Wishing you the best in this endeavor, Marion.  It’s a noble one.  Let me know
if I can help.  Contact me via this list or off-line.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC