Re: Commitments to community
From: Beverly Jones Redekop (beverly.jones.redekopgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:17:57 -0800 (PST)
No record keeping at all? No public log to record one's activities and
time? No communication?

How do new people figure out how the place runs itself if we don't tell
them what we do and how long it takes? How do we gift our extra hours to
people whom we wish to support (a busy farmer or phd student, a family with
cancer or a newborn baby)? How do we talk to the disengaged who don't
realize how much maintenance work is done or who imagine that the people
working the most are happy to carry the slack of nonparticipants?

Why do dollars for strata fees/HOA dues require accountability while hours
for maintenance can run on inspiration, whims, and guilt?

Of the happy, well-functioning communities (the ones that are in good
repair and that have community dinners at least a couple of times per
week), what is the split between recording and not recording? Do recorders
and non-recorders both have reasonable contributions in lieu of
participation from those who didn't contribute much time?

We're very close to getting the occupancy certificate on our common house
here in Yarrow, BC, so it's nice to know how thriving communities are
achieving their health and happiness.

Beverly at Groundswell Cohousing