Re: Commitments to community
From: Malcom Eva (malcolmm-eva.co.uk)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 08:31:10 -0800 (PST)
At Springhill we started to record work done.  We set a rule that every adult
should contribute 20 hours per year to the running of the community.  This was
originally in the form of physical maintenance of the site and the common
house, but was extended to necessary admin jobs as well, so that people not so
physically resilient were able to make their contribution.

For the first two years we kept a record in an A4 book so that everyone could
log the hours and say what they did.  We also run 5 or 6 workdays a year when
as many people as are available and want can tackle various maintenance jobs
and enhancement projects, all in a communal/social setting.  However, some
people never bothered to enter their hours; some people contributed way over 20
hours a year, and others way under; it became clear that the record didn’t
actually tell the whole story so we scrapped that, but we still have the
workdays, as well as smaller groups of people who look after general
maintenance, keeping the common house clean and running the common garden areas.

There is no way of enforcing the 20 hours rule, and it would cause much bad
feeling if we did. Most people join in and help keep Springhill working well,
and those who don’t, well, we say that it is their loss!

Newcomers are told about the 20 hours and the workdays, and by and large our
experience is that they bring much good energy and enthusiasm to caring for
their new home/community.  They do have a welcoming buddy who help with the
induction, as well as a comprehensive welcoming booklet which gives necessary
information (when is the rubbish and recycling collected etc).

Although we have no way of enforcing participation and a few,  often for very
good reasons, don’t join in much it works well here.

Malcolm