Re: Types of conflict in cohousing -- did I miss any?
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:30:17 -0800 (PST)
Ah, I feel your pain. I will add that to the list, thanks!

I had to learn a lot of things the hard way when I moved here. Since then, I’ve
offered to expand our welcome kit to include some basics and an FAQ (the
welcome team uses an out-of-date one-page handout that doesn’t really say
anything). But I’m not even getting enough buy-in to make it worth my time. The
buddy system helps. But when you’re unpacking and you don’t have a friend
network yet, it can be really burdensome and tiring to have to keep asking
about basic things.

I value F2F as much as the next person, but I think the Old Guard (and I’m
referring to cohousings in general) may have forgotten how exhausting it can be
to pack, move, and settle in to a new community. And—this may be an unpopular
opinion here—I also think that withholding basic information about parking,
bike lockers, guest room, workshop keys, CH policy, etc., and forcing people to
knock on your door until they get an answer is a form of control.

And storing crap in the CH? One of my big bugaboos. People drop off loads of
junk that no one would ever want, just because they don’t want to be “that
person” that throws something away. When I hosted monthly wine tastings which
included people from all over the city, I always had to move junk out onto the
patio (and clean the fridge and wash dishes and windows. Whew.) So I hosted one
freecycle event that was a huge hit! No torn, dirty clothes or broken games. We
had a TON of good stuff. Seems no one wants to bring their garbage when they
know others are watching. ;P

Mary