"The Coho Way"
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 09:45:51 -0800 (PST)
The conflict thread has been very helpful and insightful (I’m writing a
workbook on conflict), yet it keeps reminding me of the phenomenon of the
mysterious “Coho Way”. So although not directly related to conflict, I thought
I’d ask if anyone else is ever befuddled by this moving, ever-changing phrase.

When I first moved into cohousing, I really wanted to fit in so I would
frequently ask my newbie-buddy for advice. He would simply say, “That’s not The
Coho Way.” Then he went on to mention (again) that the hot tub is clothing
optional, and the human body is most beautiful in its naked form. Which I took
to be a small clue to The Coho Way.

“Okaaaay. But what IS The Coho Way?”

Other residents also airily referenced “The Coho Way” at times.  I never did
get a definition, from anyone. One thing I did notice is that it was never used
as a form of praise. (“Yay, you adhered to The Coho Way! You may now pass to
the next level!”) It was always a form of chastisement. It reminds me very much
of the game Mao. And of course, we do not discuss the rules of Mao.

Has anyone else found this to be an extremely awkward learning curve with a lot
of arbitrary obstacles?

Mary

PS. I’m writing a short story called “The Coho Way”. My first piece of fiction
in many years. It’s in the horror genre—several bodies, composted of course.
Bones are burned in an old pottery kiln, the bone meal is dug into the garden
and fed to the chickens. Very ecologically conscious.