Re: "The Coho Way"
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 06:53:23 -0800 (PST)
“There were many tense explanations about why consensus was better and why
cohousing uses it.” – Sharon

Our community is 2/3 majority rule, with a *goal* of consensus. We made the
switch from a pure consensus model about 3 years ago. It was difficult for
those clinging to consensus, but I prefer it and I think everyone is happy,
even those reluctant to give up consensus, because we still strive for
consensus, especially on major projects like a renovation or a new structure.
It keeps everyone motivated to create projects that will win total buy-in,
while removing the pressure on voters to conform to the crowd. Now people can
speak up if they have concerns or doubts without feeling that they’re being
targeted as an “uncooperative”. It also makes it easier to get a march on doing
stuff—and usually by the end of a project everyone is pleased. Some people have
a really hard time visualizing a project from anything 2D and if that’s coupled
with a fear of change, they’ll kick and fight until it’s done—and then they’re
peaceful as lambs and very happy too.

Mary