Re: Aging Better Together Conference: Registration Open
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 07:25:42 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 1, 2016, at 7:34 AM, Fred-List manager <fholson [at] cohousing.org>
> wrote:
>
> We have two ways of looking at aging:  healthy and active or disabled and
> senile.  When a society gets locked into this contrast, the result is fear
> and alienation. Forms of assistance are stated in how many dollars for
> professional services.  Well being is measured by access to professional
> services.

I have nothing to do with the conference or selecting speakers, but if I could
be so bold, I would suggest that one reason you were not welcomed is that your
pitch is more lecture than solution. It doesn’t say anything helpful. It
doesn’t share experiences. It doesn’t present ideas. It just says red is red
and blue is purple.

And the language doesn’t use words the way cohousing does. It would require
translation both ways.

In cohousing, people are looking for moment-to-moment things they can do to
create an environment that meets everyone’s needs. How to be strong and free
with inter-dependence without being helplessly dependent and controlled.

We know how to meet the needs of every life stage except over 80. We just don’t
have enough experience with it. Life at 80 or 90 is just as unpredictable as
life at 6 or 40, but we don’t think about it this way. We believe we know what
life at 6 is. What life at 40 is.

And when we say “needs” we think at 6 we need education and love. At 40 we need
professional success and love. At 80 we think we just need not to be
feeble-minded, physically unstable, and in pain. This is also a distortion.

There are a lot of people at 6 and 40 who also are feeble-minded, physically
unstable, and in pain.

I suspect those are the issues that the conference wants to address.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere."