Re: Marketing to Millennials and families
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 06:05:27 -0800 (PST)
Kat —

Whether for millennials, families, boomers etc there is a market for more
affordable cohousing.

One of the solutions my company has advocated is shared housing in which people
own a share of the home.  This is more easily done when building new so you can
build in “suites” for people (bedroom, bathroom, sitting room or ante room)
while sharing the kitchen, living room and other amenities.  But it could be
done with existing property.

As a individual with more than 15 years of group house living prior to
cohousing … I found it very appealing to combine my resources with others to
live in a very nice home whereas on my own I’d be living  — well — not in DC!

While one person may be limited to affording a $250.000 mortgage if you combine
two households you can qualify for  a $500,000 home.    The homes here at TVC
in this range also have a small footprint:  1540s/f.  Plus we are a very green
and sustainable community.  (BTW —  Four people could qualify for a million
dollar home.  That could  be a VERY nice home.)

You can own a home with others through many legal means.   One resource I’ve
found useful is this law firm:

www.andysirkin.com

Lots of information available on this website.

There are many lawyers on this list who can weigh in here.

HOWEVER … big however … if you are concerned about diversity of income,
household size, etc. and choose to try this route … it’s all about MARKETING.
And marketing is about educating and informing people about opportunities.  A
robust, ongoing marketing program is important for all cohousing communities
who wish to retain the unique characteristics of cohousing.  More so if you are
offering something more innovative for buyers.  Just because you are offering
some innovative solution doesn’t help if people don’t know about it.  Isn’t
that the crux of cohousing in general?  We have this great way of living but
who knows about it?  That’s our job!

Here at Takoma Village we have a very active Resale and Rental Pod which helps
owners sell or rent their homes.  We have a well maintained mailing list, we
offer tours, Open Houses when there are sales … we pour a lot of time, energy
and effort into our resales.  It has paid off in the quality of people we are
welcoming into our community.  We have handled 12 resales in the last three
years that have resulted in contributions to the community from grateful
sellers amounting to more than $30,000.  This went into our reserves and became
part of our new solar installation.  We have saved sellers an average of
$20,000 per household because no real estate agents were involved.  That’s a
very nice savings to home sellers, welcomed contributions to the community and
very happy newcomers!

I highly recommend the community organize and initiate a resale entity.  You
will be happy you did!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

My password is the last 5 digits of Pi …