Re: Greenhouse and Eden Alternative
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 08:23:19 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for asking, Katie.
I think they’d want to look up a local CSA or urban farm—someone with
volunteers and experience, and perhaps an interest in expanding. There’s a
biodynamic CSA 2 miles south of Shepardstown that might be a good fit:
http://freshandlocalcsa.com  Insurance might be a concern for the farm,
especially liability, so the cohousing should be prepared to cover the
greenhouse for both P&L. They might also know if any local groups are
interested in finding land for a small urban garden project.
I assume by Greenhouse Project (capital letters are kind of a clue) you mean
something fairly substantial—a building that could produce year-round food.
Once the community finds a provider-partner, they may want to team up to do
crowdfunding for the materials. I highly recommend the excellent team at
Barnraiser.us (please tell them I sent you!).

For those interested in a slightly less ambitious project, here is an excellent
list of URL’s to explore:
http://www.sherrysgreenhouse.com/pages/structures/greenhouses-build.html
and some simple, inexpensive starter ideas:
http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/3-easy-diy-greenhouses-under-300.html

My family farm, a non-profit, was able to source some free greenhouse hoops
from a farm that was going out of business. You can frequently find all kinds
of building materials on your local freecycle.org website.

If you’re handy, it’s very easy to make an aquaponics system. This one also has
heatlamps and a temporary greenhouse cover for below-freezing nights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BWGgi_rVk  See his other videos for more on
aquaponics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kzFVvbWufmW_N0cggbug Wouldn’t
it be nice if every cohousing unit had a small 2-tank aquaponic station?

In related news, I have a client who is giving out hydroponic planters (value
$500) in exchange for reviews, articles, photos and time-lapse videos.  I think
cohousings might be a good fit for him, but I would first want to see that the
recipient has a good social media base, or blog following, or is an expert
garden writer.

Cheers,
Mary