Greenhouses and Urban Farming
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 11:56:05 -0800 (PST)
I love it that the title "Greenhouses and Eden Alternative" has spawned two separate discussions, one about the small-sized homes for folks who need nursing-houe level care, and the other about urban farming and the use of greenhouses to extend the season for growing our own food. Can we re-name the discussion about growing food, to what I've proposed above? I think cohousing communities would be richer if we could have both! But for a well-staffed and run small-sized nursing facility, you need a larger population base than just a cohousing community. Less than 5% of older people are ever going to need that level of residential-care-with-health-services. Partnering with a a larger provider of long term care services makes a lot of sense, especially as there are many legal/licensing requirements for places that truely offer an alternative to nursing homes.