Re: request to post the following about fire elements in cohousing developments
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 08:49:47 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 28, 2016, at 11:18 AM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:
>
> I'd like to see the responses go back to the list, as we too are again
> starting to discuss a fire element for the CH. We initially built a flue
> into the upstairs Great Room for possible future use, but left the actual
> decision for later as it was rather contentious.

During design phase we had this discussion and decided on a gas fireplace,
which is very nice and much loved. We later installed a timer so it isn’t left
on after the enjoyers have long left.

One problem — our thermostat is on the same wall which means use of the
fireplace turns off the HVAC and other parts of the large common room are
unheated. This can be a problem in membership meetings. Some are hot and others
shivering. Plan better.

I was an advocate for a wood-burning fireplace because I was used to them in
upstate NY. An imitation fireplace seemed too fake for words. Like electric
candles. Gas prevailed because wood burning pollutes. I remained dubious.

But after move in, I was very glad we had gas. It is very well designed and
cozy. And if we had to clean the fireplace in addition to cleaning the rest of
the place, it would be a lot of work. Plus who cleans it? Who can safely build
the fire?

And you can’t turn off a wood-burning fireplace the same way you can turn off
an electric fireplace. In a group living space where the ~60 members plus
guests have a wide range of fireplace awareness, it can be a fire hazard. In DC
wood-burning awareness isn’t the same as in the North. In cold areas where more
people are knowledgable about fireplaces, that wouldn’t be such a big problem.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Nothing exists without order. Nothing comes into existence without chaos."