How loud is your dishwasher/sanitizer?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Can you measure the decibels of your washer? See below for app for iPhone. I’m
sure there are apps for other smart phones.

Decibels are units of measurement for determining the pressure a sound makes on
the ears. High decibel levels can damage the ear based on the length of time
the pressure lasts.

Decibels are not measured like degrees or feet. They follow some other formula
I can’t explain. 10 decibels difference is more like 20. The difference between
60 and 80 degrees, not 70 to 80.

Conversation voices are about 55-60 decibels. Could normally be heard across a
table or in a small group sitting near each other.

The Bosch residential washer is 44 decibels. Our sanitizer isn’t working so I
can’t measure it but I suspect it is a steady 80 in the dining room.

The program I have on my iPhone is "Decibel 10th — Professional Noise Meter".
There are many apps but I found this one to have a good set of features — not
too many or too few.  99 cents will get rid of ads.

The app tells you:

1. What level the noise is similar to — normal conversation, heavy traffic,
jack hammer, etc.
2. A graph like a cardiogram showing variations in voices.
3. A dial like a speedometer with blue below 70 and orange above that (Danger
Zone.)
4. The maximum level, level at the moment, peak level. (I have not a clue what
the difference between max and peak is.)

It will also take pictures recording the max-present-peak levels, time and
date. And export data. It also allows calibration.

Unless professional grade, each meter will measure slightly differently but the
comparative measures, I assume are accurate.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC