Re: Dietary preferences/restrictions/aversions/allergies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 05:55:05 -0700 (PDT)
> On Apr 2, 2016, at 11:09 AM, DLS via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> How have other groups identified the dietary needs in their community so that
> common meals work? We are considering some sort of questionnaire, but there
> are SO many possible questions!

Why not have a column on the meal sign up for vegan, vegetarian, other
(allergies, etc.)

I don’t cook or participate in meals on a weekly basis but this is the system
used. But after awhile everyone (who cooks) knows the dietary preferences of
each member. It becomes second nature.

When I order pizza on Friday nights, I don’t have a sign up but I ask the
vegans to let me know if they are coming. It’s easy to order vegetarian pizza —
many people will eat it. But vegan pizza is less popular and I get “stuck” with
it. (The children of vegans are also likely to take advantage of the
opportunity to eat pepperoni and don’t eat vegan either.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

I add this note because it answers the most asked question when I mention pizza
nights:

The pizza routine is that I order 5-7 pizzas and people pay by the slice 1/6 of
a large pizza is $2-3. I order 2 cheese, 2 pepperoni, 1 pepperoni and sausage,
and 2-3 vegetarian combinations. The deluxe vegetarian with 3-4 vegetables goes
fast. I order one with anchovies and put it on a back table so no one has to
even look at it. Only two of us eat anchovies on pizza.