Re: Opening the Door to Cohousing in China
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:36:24 -0700 (PDT)
Many of you may remember the story of Gou (Joy) Chuangjing and her five
colleagues from China who attended the 2015 National Cohousing Conference.
In June last year, I shared correspondence from her, thanking all of us for
a great conference experience (below).

Thanks to Megan Shea from So California, we have an update on Joy’s
efforts. Megan recently spent a few months in China, and enjoyed connecting
with Joy. Megan will be back in China next spring and has offered to keep
chatting with Joy and post blogs about what she and her group are up to.

>From Megan:

Joy and I had a great time corresponding but we didn't actually get to meet
in person (sadly, we were in cities 1000 km apart). Joy is quite
remarkable. There doesn't seem to be any modern precedent for cohousing in
China, and yet she's undauntedly moving forward with the community she
wants to get started in Nanjing. She told me they've spent the past year
talking up the concept and meeting local government officials, etc. They've
now selected a site outside of Nanjing with access to parkland and
transit-- a big accomplishment.

I'm really excited for Joy's group and I wish them all the best. Getting
things done in China requires all kinds of unexpected barriers, and I think
the best hope of building cohousing there is for there to be a passionate,
capable local advocate. Joy certainly is!

My partner will be back in China next spring and I'd love to visit her
then, especially if they have a site secured…. Back in April Joy told me
that the next few months would be pivotal in terms of government
cooperation; she said the project would be green lighted at that
point...Fingers crossed that there will be more to write about as the
project moves forward!

Alice Alexander, Coho/US Executive Director

--
Alice Alexander
Executive Director