Re: Launching June 15: CohousingMap.net
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 18:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all – –

My company tried for more than two years to create a platform similar to what
you're describing. The technical challenges were too steep to say nothing of
the finances needed to support something of this magnitude for a market that is
extremely tiny, tiny, tiny.

The market has to grow exponentially. More Cohousing will beget more Cohousing.
 However,  the demographic that wants to live in Cohousing is not necessarily
the demographic that can actually afford Cohousing at market rates today.
That's why we need more creative models such is limited equity co-ops or land
trusts.

Or better yet we need an entirely new financing stream. As an example, the
online lending market has gone around standard financing models to create
lending institutions that can lend at lower rates and with faster turnaround.
They've done this by going to an investor model which I don't fully understand
but which is clearly working in the lending industry.

I don't know what the answer is --  I just see the bottleneck.

It's important to pursue any platform that can connect cohousers with each
other on any level. However I don't think connection is so much the issue as is
financing.

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington DC