Re: Launching June 15: CohousingMap.net
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
Seconding Sharon's comment below ... In my former community, there was almost
no interest in reaching out to other communities (even though there was another
community just a mile away), or participating in regional or national cohousing
activities, or seeking out established cohousing resources to help with
cohousing-specific issues, such as process challenges. I think it's normal for
groups to be inward-looking. It's not a lack of technology that prevents
communication.
Something I'd like to see is a registry for people who are interested in coho
in a specific region. Several years ago I looked into starting a group in
northern NJ. I created a web site and a Yahoo group and took out an entry in
the FIC directory. It never went anywhere (depths of the recession, and no good
sites in that area), but there was a ton of interest and now I have a Yahoo
group with 100 names plus email from another 50. If I ever hear of someone else
starting a project, I can hand over those names. It would be great to formalize
this process nationwide.
I enrolled my community in CAI when we moved in. I ordered a bunch of helpful
publications on property management and condo legal and finance issues. It can
be a great resource for condo-based communities.
Katie Henry

From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Once their community is built and they move-in, cohousers are most interested
in living in cohousing, not developing it, or even in making contact with other
communities. Whatever money they have goes into their own community.