Re: Launching June 15: CohousingMap.net
From: Tiffany Lee Brown (magdalen23gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 16, 2016, at 10:21 PM, Tiffany Lee Brown <magdalen23 [at] gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Why not make it so the same platform/with a differently branded app could be
>> used for developers to start for-profit housing arrangements?
>
> Why would a developer or a group of developers do this unless they knew they
> could make a profit?  What we lack is research and reliable industry figures
> that current professionals are willing to share so as to draw other
> professionals into the biz.

More of that data would be great. But... Investors and, especially, real estate
developers are often far less risk-averse than the average person. Many are
drawn to the idea of building the future. They know the future doesn't already
have a positive P/L sheet and that their potential ROI is TBD on a new venture.
Show them a couple articles like this one and build a killer business proposal:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/16/the-rise-of-the-co-living-startup

Connect with actual entrepreneurs and developers, possibly within current coho
using communities. I'm not exactly a business guru, but I could sit down with
someone and list at least a dozen ways to monetize tools that would also end up
benefiting "the rest of us," e.g. the minority fringe of people genuinely
interested in co-housing today, in its non-entrepreneurial state.

I feel slimy saying it, but: the way to pitch community is to say, "Here is yet
another way to get people to provide all the work for free while we collect the
profit." How do Facebook and other social media companies work? They provide a
conduit through which regular folks willingly make all the content for free.
The right cohousing tools could enable a developer to make money by letting
people run their own cohousing communities.

Cohousing could also promote entrepreneurial efforts, especially in states with
easier land use laws than mine (Oregon). A for-profit retirement center built
into and on the land with a cohousing development, for example, so that
residents can age in place in community. Shouldn't that idea interest
businesspeople in the retirement home business? Yeah, it should and it would.
They'd either see it as competition or opportunity or both. My own pet hope: a
cohousing community for artists, craft persons, makers, artisanal food and
drink makers -- small batch entrepreneurs, with facilities and resources for
work-at-home studios on the same site as our homes and community center.

Anything anyone might ever want to do at our near one's home, or in community,
on a piece of land, could be tweaked to add value, create stable revenue, and
therefore attract interest beyond nonprofit community focused folks. I expect
there would be problems, and value conflicts, but -- this is America. Here,
unfortunately, things can only grow so much without cash...

I'll stop now. I never thought I'd be cheerleading heartless profiteering! :-p
But seriously: especially among Millennials and other youngish Americans, there
is a refreshingly earnest desire to combine moneymaking with doing what's right
and making the world a proverbially better place. There's plenty of data on
that, and plenty of interest in the business community.

- Tiffany in Oregon