Re: Cohousing architectural design input request
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 05:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
Alicia —

The multiple bathroom configuration you describe is certainly how many or most
American households prefer to live.  A compromise might be just two fixtures
(sink and toilet) on the first or “living” floor, if there are no sleeping
rooms on this floor … but then, there is often a “den” or “office” which might
evolve into a bedroom under some circumstances.  Money, of course, can be a
constraint, and bathrooms, per square foot, are the most expensive rooms in
your unit.
     Common bathrooms, in the common house or elsewhere, aren’t typically too
useful in accommodating ordinary household bathroom needs or desires.  My wife
and I live in the common house, in a 1,000 sq ft flat having a single bathroom.
 On very rare occasions, we have re-deployed to a common house toilet room, but
this certainly isn’t part of our normal daily routine.

Because of extensive shared common facilities, cohousing dwelling units tend to
be (a) smaller than conventional market units, and (b) more costly on a square
foot or per bedroom basis.  When you have access to communal guest rooms, or a
shared arts and crafts room, or a shared exercise room, you simply don’t need
as much privatized space in your personal dwelling unit.  In terms of market
economics, people tend to commit a fixed portion of their household incomes to
housing.  In the conventional market, your housing dollar buys you more
privatized space; in the cohousing market, for the same money, you get less
personal space, and more shared amenity.  Each household makes its own decision
about which mix and lifestyle is optimum.  But there is no reason to expect
that cohousing living is “cheaper” than conventional.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA