How is Sustainability and Resiliency Actualized in Cohousing
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 13:11:20 -0700 (PDT)
“Building Resilient, Sustainable Communities” is the theme of the 2017
National Cohousing Conference. This theme incorporates both living green
(energy efficiency, shared resources and greener building) and also
community (how community sustains us for measurably healthier lifestyles).

Sustainability and resiliency have many connotations and applications. From
wikipedia “In ecology, sustainability is the capacity to endure; it is how
biological systems remain diverse and productive indefinitely…..
Sustainability can also be defined as a socio-ecological process
characterized by the pursuit of a common ideal.”

I open up to coho-l readers: how is sustainability and its cousin
resiliency actualized in cohousing? I will be compiling examples and
perspectives - to help inform how we develop the 2017 conference program
and also to serve as a resource and inspiration for our cohousing world.

Reply here to spark the conversation, or email aliceCohoUS [at] gmail.com:

from examples (what resources do you share and how does that work?) to
complex visioning (how are you preparing for climate change?) to how your
community’s sustainability values and practices personally affect you (are
you healthier? feel more secure? why?).

Also: perspectives on the intersection of sustainability and cohousing: is
this an unattainable ideal? How do we approach the social challenges of
local laws and zoning, or resistance within our communities of ethical
consumerism? As a resilient community, what maintains you through crises?

A wide conversation yes; I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

--
Alice Alexander
Executive Director