Re: How is Sustainability and Resiliency Actualized in Cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 10:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
Well, obviously, if your community is located closer to people’s jobs, shopping
and other amenities, people drive less. But that would be true for any housing
development. What I think is even more interesting is how just living in
community, even in the suburbs not close to anything, people drive less.  A
study waaaaayyyyyy back in the 90’s showed that the Nyland Community outside of
Boulder has 25% less car trips than the adjacent subdivision. The only
difference is that one is a cohousing community and the other a standard
single-family house subdivision.  I would love to see more broad and updated
studies on issues like this that show how community makes a difference, even
when all else is the same.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

www.cohousing-solutions.com

On 7/6/16, 7:43 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of John Richmond"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of johnrichmond50 [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

How do the factors that Katie mentioned here play out in communities located
closer to most people's jobs and preferred amenities vs. communities located in
suburbs or rural areas further away from jobs and amenities?

John Richmond
Richmond (VA) Cohousing

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Android device

----