Re: Weird RFI seeking copies of our HOA Docs, Budget and Insurance Info
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:12:51 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 13, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Raines Cohen <rc3-coho-L [at] raines.com> wrote:
>
> 3. Fraud Prevention -  (this is what I think is the most likely reason for
> routine inquiries by this channel) by going through the association's
> official website, they can make sure they are getting the official skinny
> on any liens/unpaid dues on the unit, special assessments that could make
> the loan riskier, legal issues, problematic clauses in your documents, or
> other challenges. And not having the wool pulled over their eyes by some
> fake info from a fake "officer" submitted by the buyer or seller. In the
> wake of the 2008 banking/finance shenanigans, doing extra checks like this
> has become, unfortunately, standard procedure for some.

Sorry to disagree. Our resale packet is sent by the management company who
certifies the contents. These are legal documents. They must be complete and
accurate. If they aren’t, I assume a bank could pull the loan or worse because
false data was supplied.

Most websites have nothing to do with the Board or any officers unless one of
them happens to be a webmaster. The webmaster who might not even be a member of
the community. A bank employee would probably have not a clue who manages their
own website. If a bank asked the mortgage broker where the information came
from and they said they made contact through the website, I don’t think anyone
would be happy. I have found contact through websites to totally hit or miss
and most often a miss—particularly in cohousing.

The address and a ton of information can be found on any of the big real estate
websites. The owner on tax records.

As one of other posters pointed out this company sends resale packets that are
ordered and paid for by the seller. And it’s expensive. Marketing pays for
itself.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park
In Washington DC, Where all roads lead to Casablanca