Middle townhouse units and per-unit solar power
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
  I would like to talk about a pitfall with having per-unit solar power if you
have a middle townhouse unit. Solar power requires mounting one or (usually)
two boxes on the outside of the unit and a cable run from these boxes to the
utility meter. In some cases mounting the boxes on the front of the unit isn't
feasible and if the boxes are mounted on the back of the unit, the cable run
from there to the utility meter might not be feasible.
  I urge all forming groups that plan to have triplex townhouse units to design
their residential buildings to accommodate this. That is, to have a solar power
company go over the design and make sure the design accommodates wiring for
per-unit solar panels on the middle unit. Don't assume that the owner of the
end unit that has the utility meters will allow a solar power company to attach
to their unit the utility boxes for the middle unit's solar power. They might
not.
  There is more to designing a coho to accommodate future solar power than
having south-facing roofs and ensuring that the future solar panels aren't
shaded by trees.

Bob Morrison
Mosaic Commons Cohousing
Berlin, MA