Re: Play/toy weapons
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:28 AM, Rick Gravrok <rick.gravrok [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> No, but we did decide that kids could only play video games in private
> residences and not in CS.

Video games have not been a problem since most kids do play them at home or in
the game room which is not visible unless you got to specifically look in.

I have a problem with the guns and bullets. The guns are large Star Trek
looking things which I don’t object to in and of themselves. But the bullets,
even though they are foam rubber, could hurt a young child if they land in an
eye or temple.

I’ve taken it on myself to ask the boys to not use the CH interior as a war
zone —it’s very inviting because of all the spaces to hide. And not to use the
bullets when other children are around.

I also asked another child who constantly has a large spear-like shaft in his
hand as tall as he is, not to use it when he plays in the tot-lot and walks
around the top edge of the fence around the sliding board platform. He may be
safe but it’s not a good example for young children who don’t have the skills
he has.

It seems to work best to tell them that they can be as careful as possible but
that isn’t the problem. The problem is that younger children are not
predictable and do a lot of "dumb things.” Since they are happy to accept that
younger kids are totally dumb, this caution lasts at least for a few days

(I used a similar caution to keep my children from walking alone on a beach
road. “There could be teenagers driving those cars.” It become a standard
caution between them — "Be careful, it might be teenagers." )

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC