Re: Play/toy weapons
From: Tiffany Lee Brown (magdalen23gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:42:30 -0700 (PDT)
These are interesting issues. To me it seems odd that policies on matters like
this are not made ahead of time, but after someone is already moved in.

A friend moved into a cohousing community that had no policies or official
position on guns. Her family does keep guns, which is traditional in much of
America, though not in our old city, which they had just moved to.

Others in the coho freaked out, would not allow their children to play at my
friends' townhouse, etc., and did not confront my friends about any of this
directly. They learned through the children's gossip. One neighborly community
member even called Children's Services on them. (From what I could see at our
preschool community, they were great parents, just not from our insular,
"progressive" city.) It sounded awful, passive-aggressive, and bizarre, and
undoubtedly other factors were at play too.

My overall impression was, "if this community is anti-gun, shouldn't that be
written into their community guidelines? Why find this out after you buy a
townhouse and move across the country?"

Thoughts on that for people starting new communities ? How do you get across
such expectations? And why wait until someone happens to have a violent video
game obsessed teenager to write down, "no violent imagery in the main house,"
so people already have an expectation of what's considered appropriate media --
before they sign up, or before their kids get to that age? Or "members may use
media facilities as they see fit. Please monitor your preschooler so she
doesn't end up watching half an hour of racist war mongering in the Teen Army
Recruitment Room, er, I mean, the Media Room." Then everyone coming to the
situation has an idea of what to expect.

?

Just curious, as usual!

Tiffany
Wannabe Co-houser or Something Similar
Central Oregon

Sent from the far shores of a distant land