Re: Play/toy weapons
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
For example in our community we did talk about weapons, were shocked to
discover that one of our members has weapons, came to good conclusions, also
considering that perhaps someone who works as police, or in the military might
join our group.

Never in 100 years did it occur to me that our hippie commune liberal
ecological granola folk would consider having the kids play with guns and
swords would be ok. There is this thing where you just assume that other people
are like you in so many ways so they must be like you in all ways.

The funny thing about co-housing, compared to other ways of being in community,
is its not easy to just leave. So here I live with people who have completely
different values about this one thing that I care very much about. Honestly I
think its been good for me to have that struggle.

(in terms of original question—we have discussed having a no weapons (play or
real) in the common house and have not agreed to it—but lots of folk enforce it
any way.)

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.ecclesiaministriesmission.org