Re: Play/toy weapons
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:13:14 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 21, 2016, at 11:55 AM, Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah <welcome [at]
> olympus.net> wrote:
>
> It is asked, why didn't the community have rules about [violent video games]
> from the outset? In addition to all the  factors Sharon mentions, this
> evolves: 25 years  ago when we were making  basic policies I was unaware that
> grossly violent video games even existed. Maybe they didn't. There was no
> Internet, Bluetooth, WiFi, FaceBook, etc. Our kids were little.

Exactly. This is one reason not to try to prevent problems or try to design the
community in advance. You can’t. Things change.

When we suddenly had three 9 year olds adopted we really felt it. The green had
been previously sacrosanct with only little kids under 3 playing there. The
grass was quickly brown and open for pretty much anything.

We were advised during out reserve study this year not invest any money in our
internet wires because everything is going wifi. I have to use various remotes
just because some of my equipment is wifi and some wired.

16 years ago we agonized over choosing a system that would last “forever.” We
have a professional internet wiring installer and his advice is probably the
best. A few years ago he said you buy workhouse routers without all the bells
and whistles—they are cheap and they just work. In a year you replace them with
new workhorses that will be cheaper and include all those new features, and the
new features will be tested. About wires in the walls, I don’t know but the
concept is probably the same.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park, Washington DC
TakomaTime, Your Neighborhood Timebank
Now on Hiatus <http://www.takomatime.org/>