Issues in Cohousing [was Play/toy weapons
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 21, 2016, at 11:27 AM, David Heimann <heimann [at] theworld.com> wrote:
>
> P.S. -- During our development, someone referred to the four P's as
> potentially contentious issues: "Pistols", "Pets", "Progeny", and "Paying".
> Guns and swords are on that list!

Another version of this is Parents, Pesticides, Pets.

I thought the question earlier about what are the issues is an interesting one.
I’ll list the ones that have been issues here — some small, some big. Some
private and individual and some with everyone on one side or the other.

Residential or commercial dishwasher in kitchen.

Payment of condo fees is not an issue but payment for other things has been.
Should people pay to use the clothes washer and dryer? Guest rooms? When doors
were painted people were charged individually because each of us has one. But
our condo fees are graduated so larger units actually pay less per SF than
small units. Should everything else be graduated too?

Problems with children are generally considered to be parent problems and the
problem of the parents to correct. Parents sometimes ask for help — if you see
Jimmy in the TV room please ask him to leave. My children are vegan — please
don’t feed them meat. But a problem is parents allowing 5-6 year olds outside
with no supervision, arguing that if they lived in a single family home, they
would. But others argue that it isn’t a single family home and there may be 8
children of all ages outside who don’t have their own yards to play in. Doesn’t
the 5 year old who likes to swing bats need parental supervision? Unless it has
been specifically arranged, should other parents be expected to supervise that
child?

Are parents responsible for cleaning up the kids room even if the parent didn’t
know their kids were there, the kids say they weren’t, and several people say
they were? Parents are generally expected to know where their children are and
what they are doing, particularly under 10-12. Knowing where your children are
is not “common sense” to some single fathers.

Do children have a right to treat the dining room like a gymnasium with yelling
and loud toys even during meals? Should they be able to scream outside at all
hours of the day and late in the evening. Are children exempt from teh noise
policy because it is their nature to yell and scream and run around as if the
world is a soccer game? A soccer game with no rules.

Discipline — can a member discipline a child of someone else. Tell them not to
jump on furniture? Or walk on window sills? (We have no policy on walking on
window sills.) Or put them in time out or send them home for attacking other
children. Or throwing balls where they can hit adults in the head who are
eating lunch in the piazza. Tell them they can’t leave the playroom until they
clean up.

How much do teams have to inform the community about changes? Does the
facilities team have to inform others of what kind of HVAC system is being
installed or just get permission for an amount to pay for it? Deciding that
disposable paper products will no longer be stocked in the pantry and that
plastic plates (which still have to be washed) had been purchased instead.

Do we need child safety locks on every drawer and cupboard in the CH or only
ones with knives, matches for birthday candles, and cleaning products (even if
they are all green and not dangerous).

Can the community decide to put a tree up in front of a member’s north kitchen
window, effectively blocking all light. Because we use consensus, no. But some
people were very upset because this tree somehow was needed to balance the
landscape design. Which takes precedence?

Can we plant only native plants? Or what percentage of native and non-native?
What is “native”? If we don’t use Round-up, who weeds. What is a weed? Can a
resident plant “weed” in their own yards.

Do we really need 6 inches of rubber mulch under a raised fort for older
children? I used to jump off roofs when I was 8 and climb 3 story high trees.
Why can’t ours?

Does it really take a village to raise a child? Shouldn’t we have discussions
about manners and reasonable behavior in the common spaces? Can only parents
make rules about children’s “needs” and behaviors. Shouldn’t all members make
the decision that we need childcare during meetings? People without children
can’t tune them out as easily as parents. Should only parents decide if we need
to store carseats in the front hall? Even if there are 8? And strollers?

Should dogs be allowed to run without leashes? Cats be outdoor cats? Only if
residents are allergic or to also protect guests and future residents? Or
because some members panic at the sight of a dog running loose?

Where can dogs poop and pee? Who decides? The landscaping point person who
doesn’t want them to poop or pee anywhere? Who is responsible for cats using
the sand box or flower planters on balconies for kitty litter?

Can people schedule private time to use the exercise room?

Can people do exercise videos in the newly refurbished living room instead of
the exercise room? How does it affect the expensive new rug?

Where can bicycles be parked? How many spaces per unit should be have? We now
have at least 61 bikes. Where can we put them. Doesn’t everyone deserve equally
nice storage — all indoor or all outdoor? All on the first floor or all on the
third floor?

How long can a member remain on the members list after they move out? If they
have been a member for 18 years and want to stay on for a few months until the
get attached to their new community? If they are leaving after having caused
trouble? Does everything have to be standardized?

Have a TV in the common house? Who pays for cable? In and unlocked room?

When there is a central mail delivery room and anyone can sign for packages,
can each unit decide where they want their packages delivered and who can sign
for them? Who keeps track of individual preferences?

Growing vegetables in the decorative gardens along the green? Should we exhibit
our values or have nice gardens? Vegetables tend to die before August and are
not removed or replanted. They don’t fit in with the design. Not everyone wants
to plant them so the design can’t be changed, or not to make everyone happy.

Can privately owned things be stored in common space that is unused otherwise —
put flat decks on it. Put storage boxes of tools in it. Leave strollers and
tricycles on them.

Can we have a Christmas Tree? If so can we put angels or a creche on it? Can a
lighted Santa Claus figure be put up on the sign in front of the common house?
Can religious/cultural holiday of any member be celebrated in the common house?

Should the workshop be locked? Who can borrow tools and under what
circumstances? Are the paints and other supplies open source or reserved for
community use?

What cleaning products can be used in the kitchen? Steel wool on pans or bleach
 on the dishcloths?

Guns? Guns in common areas? Dangerous pets like pythons? Uncontrolled loud
speakers in the common house for parties?

Is committee work like researching and righting policies workshare or only
physical maintenance tasks?

Drying diapers on portable racks on the green? In a neighborhood where the
predominantly black neighbors consider hanging clothes outside to signal ghetto
or slums.

———————

These may seem overwhelming or trivial but they all cause conflict. You can’t
address all of these before you move in or start membership meetings with a
list of these issues. Take them up as they come along. We didn’t deal with any
issues related to children until we had a bunch of them a few years in. Pets
may be important to discuss with prospective members because people may not
want to get rid of pets. (When we finally wrote a pets policy we also
grandfathered in existing outdoor cats, for example.)

The worst kind of conflicts, in my opinion, are the small ones that people
grouse about are never resolved. They are often dismissed by others as trivial.
Feeling several of these can cause unhappiness that is hard to resolve because
because it comes from multiple places that have all been trivialized. It begins
to affect ones personality.

Passing off things as personal issues to be resolved between neighbors is
usually a problem too. People are members of a community— not individual home
owners. They are accountable to the community and shared vaues and
expectations. Without community clarification of expectations, many members
think they don’t have a right to even raise an issue. They think they can’t
object because there is no policy prohibiting someone from storing a boat
beside someone else’s garden and blocking their sun. When neighbors disagree,
it is often because the community has not recognized or discussed the issue.
The same problem causes hard feelings over and over.

When communities say this isn’t our problem, discuss it with so-and-so, they
are shooting themselves in the foot. If the person could have talked to the
other person, they would have. For whatever reason, they couldn’t and are
asking for help.

A policy isn’t always necessary, just a discussion and a recorded sense of the
group in the minutes. People often change their behavior after a discussion and
no further action is necessary. Getting the right wording of a policy can take
years and thens seem like a bureaucratic non-necessity when it finally gets
written. We had a discussion on pets during which neighbors expressed their
objections to a neighbor’s outdoor cats even though they only went on their
common outside corridor. But they left hair everywhere on tables, etc. She had
no idea there was a problem and she had had the cats for almost 10 years. After
that she only took them out on a leash and took them out on the green.

So just talk about it first, as a community. A community is only as strong as
its fully committed members.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines