Re: Play/toy weapons
From: Rick Gravrok (rick.gravrokgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
Children and play is a topic dear to my heart, I grew up in a neighborhood
with over 40 kids in the neighborhood, we played outside most of the time.
I was a preschool teacher for 7 great years. And for the first summer here
at Monterey Cohousing in Minnesota when our families with children moved
into the new townhomes, I provided a “Kids Kamp” for the 4 to 11 year olds.

After the Texas University massacre where 14 people were shot dead, the
governor put Dr. Stuart Brown in charge of research on this killer and
others like him. He discovered a commonality: they lacked rough and tumble
play.

Kids need to be able to take risks as they play, this is how they learn to
socialize, develop empathy, deal with real-life conflict and get their
needs for physical contact met. Check out what Dr. Stuart Brown has to say
at his National Institute for Play: http://www.nifplay.org

And listen to NPR’s interview with him:
http://www.onbeing.org/program/play-spirit-and-character/143

While I have big concerns about virtual, fantasy video games where the
human players are the killers and never the recipient of any real-life
consequences (other than losing points or the game), I believe that playing
war, including playing with toy guns, where kids play with other real kids,
where sometimes you’re the good guy, and sometimes the bad guy, and where
sometimes you get hurt, childhood is the time of life to experience and
learn from those real-life interactions. And without adults always
helicoptering over them.

And for those of you interested in healthy mentoring of boys, check out the
award winning documentary called “JOURNEYMAN”  (I’m in it for a few seconds) It
includes a section on media addiction:  http://www.mirrormanfilms.org
  If you watch it, you may want a box of Kleenex.

The trailer is at: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dINl_U_vqg>

And when a kid is in front of a screen, he/she is not outside. I recommend
the book: *"LAST CHILD IN THE WOODS - Saving our Children from
Nature-Deficit Disorder" by Richard Louv*

Have Fun, Play Hard, Play Fair, the Hurts are Worth It,

Rick Gravrok

Monterey Cohousing Community
St. Louis Park, MN