Re: Issues in Cohousing [was Play/toy weapons
From: Sharon Villines (
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:44:35 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 22, 2016, at 10:10 AM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at]>
> wrote:
> Also:
> Do we need a policy, a best practice, or just a discussion?
> If its a best practice do we have to follow it?
> Its more welcoming to have more rules. Its more welcoming to have less rules.
> Smoking.
> When can you call animal control?

Or a tow truck for a car parked repeatedly in the wrong space — yours. We  have
one space per unit and no spaces for guests or workers. Some have had a hard
time realizing that we are no longer college students who do as we please.
Where everyone’s cool. The nurse or doctor who comes home from work at 2 am
needs their space to be available.

People can always ask to borrow a space, but a few just don’t bother. “It
doesn’t matter.” They aren’t being intentionally inconsiderate — they just
don’t realize that this is a major problem for others.

And MBA did an analysis of our members for me a few years ago. ⅓ were actively
involved in running the community. ⅓ were on total overload from being new
parents, parents of troubled kids, no jobs, serious illnesses, aging, or
whatever. And ⅓ were unable to self-start so they weren’t good at taking
responsibility for independent tasks. (Workdays addressed this — all they have
to do is show up.)

Even when policies and understandings are important, life is life, even in
cohousing. Maybe especially in cohousing.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC