Re: Rules (was Play/toy weapons)
From: Muriel Kranowski (
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
The dilemma for us, still unresolved, is not so much "what rules do we
want?" but "what to do about non-compliance?"

I think our policies are reasonable. Most of them evolved in the course of
community life as a problem or issue became apparent, was discussed, and it
was finally agreed to create a relevant policy.

But we have always had a small number of residents who apparently don't
think rules or policies apply to them, and (except for paying dues) we
don't know what to do about it. Not everyone thinks that there should be a
penalty for non-compliance - they think people comply to maintain their
social capital and that's good enough. Those who think there should be some
kind of consequence don't know what might be effective and would be

How does that play out elsewhere in coho-land?
   (not sure I want to out my community here!)