Re: Rules (was Play/toy weapons)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 06:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 22, 2016, at 2:29 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:
>
> The dilemma for us, still unresolved, is not so much "what rules do we
> want?" but "what to do about non-compliance?”

We’ve been very lucky in having people who will speak to the offender privately
and resolve it. It’s a different person depending on the issue. Someone just
does it. Sometimes I ask a person I know is friends with the person to speak to
them privately.

Some times people will go to a team and say, for example, "I think the clutter
outside doors is getting out of hand. Do you think it is a good idea if I just
talk to people about it.” Then she went around and spoke to each person and
explained the problem. One person took several talks, another never quite
agreed on what was reasonable. But on the whole it works. No policy or big
deal.

Governance includes enforcing the governance agreements. Since cohousing
started as a DIY project, however, it is built on an altruistic idea that left
to themselves, people do the right thing. And even do it better without “condo
commandos.” It’s one of those ideas that is super liberal and super
conservative at the same time. Get government out. Live free.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC